Sunday 12 April 2015

A wee taste of home!



Saturday 11/4/15 @ 11am

As I spent this morning reflecting on what has happened over the past few days and what I’ve seen and heard and learnt, I am genuinely overwhelmed. I suppose it’s hit me today properly, for the first time, how absolutely blessed I am to be here! The living conditions aren’t all that easy sometimes for me as a westerner, but the landscape, the surroundings and the people are beautiful! I could make a list of people who would flourish here and who are so anointed for preaching and teaching and would carry a message throughout the place and yet God has allowed this privilege to me. I’m not entirely sure why but I’m here and ready to learn. I’ve been listening to song called ‘Joy’ by Rend Collective, the line that has stood out for me today is “The dark is just a canvas for your grace and brightness.” I feel that God has brought me to this place where I am having to adapt and adjust to some of the surroundings, the people are amazing! For me they really do demonstrate the grace and brightness of God! 

This morning is a quiet one of reflection and sermon prep. I’m freaking out slightly about preaching twice next week to a cathedral which holds approx. 1000 people. I’m informed that sometimes people come and stand outside if they can’t get in. I’d love you guys at home to be praying about that with me, that I will have exactly the message that is intended for the people here.
Some of these posts might seem a bit random but I guess I really want to get as many memories and feelings and reflections down as possible for my own benefit when I get home because I know I might never get a chance like this one again!

Blessed be His name!

Danielle x


Saturday pm

Just in from lunch at Lyn’s house. Lyn an English missionary living here. I guess she realised I might be missing home comforts and decided it would be good to do a roast chicken dinner- which was amazing and then her neighbour Emma baked us some chocolate cake which was very welcome at this point in the week!

It was an interesting choice of transport to get to Lyn’s house. Alice decided to pick me up on some ‘bodas’. These are motorbikes which were originally associated with smuggling goods over the border or ‘boda’, now they are the taxi service here. I had no idea that was Alice’s plan so I had walked down the street to meet her at her house and she phoned to say walk back up. As I was walking along the path back to the guesthouse, a Ugandan man dressed in a leather jacket and sunglasses, riding a motor bike pulled up beside me and said “Are you Daniella?” (Most people call me Daniella here) to which I panicked slightly wondering how he knew my name, “yes” I said and he gestured to the back to the motorbike and  said “hop on, Alice has sent me for you, she is just ahead”. Sure enough Alice was just ahead of me, waving. Now I hope you can picture the state I was in at this point! I was freaking out slightly because I had no idea we were getting a boda, this man had just surprised me by turning up on the roadside and now I had to negotiate getting on this motorbike in a maxi-skirt! Lots of women keep their legs on one side because of their skirts and dresses, but I hadn’t realised that until we passed some women. The man asked had I ever been on a boda before because I seemed so scared! I had to get a little photo of the occasion. We decided, since the sun hadn’t set yet, that we would just walk the 15 minutes or so to get back to the guesthouse. On the way, we spoke to some Sudanese refugee families sitting and playing outside their house close to where Lyn lives. Sad that they have been forced out but conflict but the children look to be happy and content in their new surroundings.

Tomorrow I am involved in the first two services, the first one begins at 7am and I am reading the two Bible readings, at the second I am leading the service! I’m slightly worried at this point that I have yet to lay eyes on an order of service or the liturgy for the service but I’m figuring that if the past two days are anything to go by, there will be lots of commonalities with the Church of Ireland so it should be fine. Before leaving tonight Alice asked to pray with me as she knows I’m a bit worried about it, and I love that in her prayer she referred to me as her daughter! I think she really has taken to being my mum while I’m here. She said she already has 4 so what’s another one?!  When she arrived at the guest house Alice asked Rebecca what I had for breakfast and if I have been drinking enough water! I’ve been blessed to be placed in the care of such safe hands.

I guess it’s time for lights out soon as I’ll be up at about 5.30am to get ready before the service starts at 7am. Robes in African heat- this will be interesting! 

With love from Uganda,

Danielle x

No comments:

Post a Comment