Wednesday 22 April 2015

It's a small world!



Tuesday 21st

It seems that at the beginning of this blog I was writing about all my ‘first’ African experiences and now it’s more about the last! I had my last pastoral visit with Rev. Pamela this morning, in Central Zone. As we walked down the grassy slope to get to the house Pamela explained that we were going to be visiting the widow of a once Bishop in Sudan. We were invited inside the house by a woman who is in essence her home help. We sat for a moment in the living room waiting for ‘Mama Esther’ to appear and I scanned the photographs proudly displayed on her walls. There was one of a Lambeth Conference in the 80s, and many of her family. I smiled noting that there was even a photo of her husband with the Irish Archbishop, Robin Eames.

Sometimes on pastoral visits, Pamela has to translate a lot for me as the person we visit only speaks Lugbara but in this case as Mama Esther was from Sudan she didn’t speak Lugbara, so I was able to keep up with the entire conversation. As we chatted about how long she had lived there and how long her husband had been a bishop, Pamela had a revelation. She got up to look closer at a photo and said “I think this is the bishop who confirmed me!” It turns out that Pamela had been taken to Sudan as a refugee by her grandparents when she was 2 years old and live there with them for a number of years. The bishop and Mama were good friends with Pamela’s grandfather and this was the bishop who confirmed her. Even in Africa the world can seem like such a small place! This new found connection brought obvious joy to Rev Pamela and Mama Esther and they chatted more about all the places and people they have in common. After the chat, I read Isaiah 43:1-7 and Pamela gave a little encouragement from it. Then we set a table and shared Holy Communion together.  



                                                             Rev Pamela and Mama Esther



 Mama Esther, Knight and I


Our second pastoral visit was much shorter but also in Lugbara so poor Pamela was back to translating! The lady was unable to get church because of her leg. In just one leg she had a branch stuck into her, a snake bite and a goat’s horn stuck in her! The doctors had wanted to amputate but she refused and so was in lots of pain. We prayed, read the passage from Isaiah and then Pamela encouraged her also. Then again we shared Holy Communion with this lady, after which we sang my favourite Lugbara song. It seems to be one that is well known and people sing it a lot, and I just love the wee tune. I look a picture on my phone of the words in their hymn book, so that at every opportunity I can sing along too! Pamela always requests it when im with her and then smiles to herself, watching me sing in Lugbara, especially when I only know what a tiny bit of it means! Apparently they sing it especially when someone comes to Christ. It always strikes me how much people love this song because no matter where we are, in a house, a school, the cathedral, wherever, people really engage in worship. You just know they mean the words and very often they have their hands raised or they clap along. There is never any kind of awkward or half hearted singing like we sometimes are prone to at home.

I’m sad to say that tomorrow is going to be my last Wednesday here and especially sad that it’s my last full day with Rev. Alice because I have hospital visits on Thursday and a graduation on Friday to go to with other people. It’s really sinking in that I have to leave, and although I’m looking forward to being home again, I’m gutted that I will have to leave all of these experiences and amazing people behind.

With love from Uganda,
Danielle x

No comments:

Post a Comment