Friday 10 April 2015

Anglicans are Anglicans are Anglicans!



Thursday 9th April 2015

Today was the first day of synod, which is being held at Emmanuel Cathedral, and Bishop Joel & Canon Isaac kindly invited me to join them. We arrived a little bit late, which is totally culturally normal, and joined the group mid-way through a service of Holy Communion to open the meeting. In a totally different culture there is something very comforting about being part of the Anglican Church because I instantly felt part of the congregation because the service structure and much of the liturgy and songs are similar to the Church of Ireland. I knew when to stand, sit, pray etc. The elements of Holy Communion are slightly different. They use wafers instead of bread and it is dipped into the wine rather than drinking from the cup, to prevent the spread of disease.

During the service I was welcomed by Bishop Joel, and introduced to the congregation as his ‘dear sister from Ireland’. Ugandans certainly know how to make you feel welcome! After the service I was invited by Canon Isaac into the vestry for tea, bread and boiled eggs- which seems to be a favourite here! After that we got into the formal business meeting. I had to laugh to myself that I have travelled over 4000 miles to have a totally different experience and I find myself sitting in a synod that could have been taking place in any diocese in Ireland! 

I was amazed to hear that last year, in that one diocese, they baptised 10,000 new Christians!! The clergy appear to be run off their feet but God is obviously moving mightily in that place!
During the break I had another first African experience- eating with my hands, or my natural fork, as Rev Alice likes to call it! It sounds easy but try eating rice, beans and pulling apart chicken with just one hand (the left hand is considered dirty). The ladies had a wee smile to themselves and commended me for my efforts!

Tomorrow is the last day of synod so I’ll probably be there for part of the day at least. It’s long drawn out in parts but other parts are really interesting and exciting to get a sense of what is happening right across the diocese. 

Definitely time for sleep!

Over and out!

Danielle x

No comments:

Post a Comment