Monday 13 April 2015

Learning to dance like an African!!




Sunday 12/4/15

What an absolutely class day this turned out to be! I was up from the crack of dawn, before it actually to get ready and get down to the cathedral for the service at 7am, a service of Holy Communion. The place was packed out! It’s funny how at the start of the service there was maybe only 60 people there for the beginning, even the clergy were late and we were in the vestry next door but they go ahead and start singing and dancing. People filter in and by the end there wasn’t a seat to be had in the place, and there are hundreds of seats! I was introduced and welcomed and I had been invited to read the lesson so that was a nice gentle break-in. We processed out to Guide me o thou great Jehovah and then turnaround time for the second service is very quick! You get about 4 or 5 minutes to get yourself sorted for the next service, which in this case was Morning Prayer. During those 4 or 5 minutes I had a ‘come and worship’ book put into my hand and told “you’re leading”. This is the first time I have clapped eyes on this book and the service starts in a few minutes. By the grace of God I got through it ok!

I stayed on for the third service, which is in Lugbara, the local language. I obviously didn’t understand a word of it and began to regret my decision until I realised there was a baptism happening. Well not one but 30 children and young people. I couldn’t follow the words but it was so special! The boys turned up in white shirts and school trousers and the girls in white dresses. The families all came to the front to stand around the children as they came forward for baptism.  You could just feel the joy in that place! Seven hours after I came to the vestry to begin my day, I had a cup of tea in the vestry after the service then began my walk back to the guesthouse to rest for an hour before Rev Pamela came to get me again.

Sure enough she turned up for me and I had to get on yet another Bodaboda! This time we were going to visit the ‘Sudan zone’. The areas around the cathedral within a few mile radius are sectioned into ‘zones’ and this helps to manage the pastoral visiting schedule! We arrived a few minutes later at a house, in a more rural feeling area than where I am staying. There was a large crowd of people gathered in a circle singing and as we got closer I realised that they were standing around a grave. We spent a few minutes singing, clapping and praying. The Provost (Dean) of the cathedral was there to lead the prayers.

Soon after went to the garden on the other side of the house where chairs had been set out to facilitate a kind of meeting with a panel at the front. As their visitor I was invited to sit at the front. The meeting was basically a review of how the people in the zone are getting on and how they have been engaging in church life over the past few months. It was all in Lugbara again so Rev Pamela kindly translated everything for me. I was invited to introduce myself and give greetings from Northern Ireland and then the Provost, Solomon, shared a thought about spiritual gifts and then prayed to conclude. Some of the women who knew that I was coming along, got together and wrote a little song which they performed in front of everyone, complete with dance moves! I was so touched by it! It was part Lugbara and part English and the jist was: You are welcome here, feel at home here, keep on smiling! I really wanted a photo but I wasn’t about to get it without getting up to dance as they sang, along with Pamela and Solomon. They taught me how to dance like an African. I loved it and I think they loved that I gave it a go. In true Ugandan style, the afternoon was not complete without a slap-up meal- eaten of course, with my “natural fork”. They seemed impressed that I just got stuck in! After dinner there was time for some more dancing but it soon started to rain and spoiled our fun a wee bit. We decided it was a good idea to leave at that point to walk back before the sun started to set.
I am shattered but have had an amazing day full of experiences and laughs!

As they say here ( a lot)
Praise the Lord!

Danielle x






No comments:

Post a Comment