Monday 27 April 2015

With love, for the final time, from Uganda.



Lessons learned in Uganda


  •  In Uganda, especially in Lugbaras, 1 o’clock usually means 1.30 or 1.45. Time is not what is important – relationships are.
  • The earth is so well resourced and so often we in the west totally miss it! I’m learning to appreciate what is around us so much more than I did before this trip.
  • If plan A doesn’t work, there's no point in getting worked up and stressed out. Before you panic “think outside the box”.
  • God shows up most powerfully in some of the most unexpected people and place. In the parts of my schedule that I looked forward to less than others, God blew me away in ways that I did not see coming, at all!
  • “I can’t cope” is a catchphrase of mine and turns out, it’s not actually true. With a wee bit of courage and trusting totally in God, most things are achievable. It’s not because I am capable of a whole lot, but because all things are possible with and through God!


So here I am at the end of my 3 weeks here.  I was quaking in my boots before I got here and cried when someone mentioned Uganda in the day or two leading up to it. I was so nervous about what lay ahead and how I would get through all the travelling by myself. I got to Arua and wondered how I would cope with the language barrier, with the food, with the lack of lots of basic facilities, and I worried about how on earth I was going to speak or minister relevantly to people’s lives. I wondered if I would be able to form any kind of relationships or trust people. I worried about getting sick and being stuck over here alone. I worried if they would like me and if they would even understand me. I worried if I would remember the cultural norms I had been told about or if I would offend people by forgetting them. I worried about whether they would take me seriously as a preacher and in pastoral visits because im a young western female. I worried that the 3 weeks would drag by and I would be homesick.

And now, I’m so gutted that my time is up and I have to leave these beautiful people. I have seen and heard and experienced things that have pushed me to my limits physically, spiritually, emotionally. I have spent a lot of time outside my comfort zone. I have had to just get on with it at times and learn as I go. I have fallen in love with Arua and its people. I have seen God at work in some of the darkest circumstances. I have been inspired by the work ethic of the people. I have seen biblical principles really lived out. I have witnessed what true thankfulness is. I have been protected from any illness or injury by our faithful God. I have learned how exciting it is to put yourself in the unknown and totally rely on God to come through. I have experienced true generosity. I have been privileged to pray with so many people about some really challenging issues. I have watched people minister powerfully without the use of resources or technology. I have watched young people, old people, men and women get excited about the word of God. I have watched faith and hope being born out of suffering. I have met with God.

And so I pray that this is not the last I will see of Arua. I owe a lot to its people for the experience they have given me. I owe many thanks to Rev. Alice and Rev. Pamela for allowing me to journey with them in their ministries for three weeks. I owe thanks to the CMS Ireland staff who organised this trip. I owe so much to the people who have supported me emotionally, financially and prayerfully. But most importantly I owe all that I have to God, who is faithful and true, for blessing me with this incredible opportunity. To Him be the glory!

With love from Uganda,

Danielle Ayikoru x

No comments:

Post a Comment