Thursday 16 April 2015

Goodbye is hard in every language!



Wednesday 15th April

This promised to be a somewhat gentle day and yet it ended it tears, literally! I was scheduled to be at morning devotions with the Bishop and diocesan team and then some work in the office. These did happen, allowing me time to connect to the internet and post a blog, chat to Alice and discover yet more similarities in our lives, and I also got a sermon written for Sunday which was great.

My afternoon activity was scheduled to be a meeting of the Women’s Fellowship, which I was to take part in and share a little encouragement. However, a death in the church community meant that it was cancelled to allow the women to be part of the burial. Pastoral emergencies and funerals are part and parcel of ministry and they must take priority. Rev. Pamela, however, rather than wanting to leave me out of it, thought that this was important exposure for me during training. I was extremely hesitant I have to say but I thought perhaps God intended for me to see this aspect of ministry specifically in an African context. I hadn’t been prepared for this but I decided this was a time to go with the Spirit!

We walked (I, carrying my backpack with my laptop, massive study bible and some books) for around 30 minutes in intense heat, on the windy, dusty, rocky path to the house of the deceased gentleman’s house. From a far it might have looked, in a Western context, like a garden party. There were about 5 huge marquees placed around the front and side of the house, crammed with hundreds of people sitting on plastic garden chairs, as is the norm here! They were beating drums and singing and there looked to be some cooking going on. I have to admit at this point I had no idea what I was about to walk into as it looked nothing like any funeral I have ever been to! Everywhere I go I am treated like clergy and expected to behave like clergy so in these circumstances it’s always best to follow what the others do. 

As we drew nearer to the gathering I could see that there was a coffin situated in the middle of the marquee nearest the door of the house. Pamela walked close to the coffin, bowed her head and prayed for a few minutes and I followed suit. I prayed that God would give me wisdom, discernment and compassion for the situation, as the whole setup was new to me, I had only met the deceased once and the whole thing would be conducted in Lugbara. We then sat until a lady came to direct us to a room which would be used as a vestry. Pamela and I sat there for a few minutes until the Provost, Solomon and Rev. Collins arrived. A lady then arrived with a jug and bucket of water for our hands. As we eat with our hands a lot here, hand washing is always available and expected but usually you go to the sink or jerry can for yourself. Instead, the lady got on her hands and knees and held out the bowl. I put my hands over the bowl and she gently poured water, allowed time for me to grab the soap bar and then she poured water again to rinse. She then proceeded to do the same with the rest. There is an incredible sense of humility in these ladies when they do this and it’s slightly awkward and embarrassing as I would hate to give the impression that I think I am better than anyone or expect to be served like this, but it’s a cultural norm I cannot get around. We were presented with our meal of enyasa, chicken and sauce, or soup as it is called here. 


After eating, the three clergy put their robes on and I was invited to lead their procession. As if I had any clue what to do, where to go, or how to behave. The pressure was on at such an important occasion. I gave it my best shot, with Pamela whispering the odd instruction from behind me. We sat in a line of wooden chairs at the head of the coffin. John (the deceased) was a prison guard and some of work friends gave a tribute, then his daughter explained what had happened during his last days as the death was unexpected. The Provost then gave his sermon based on Matthew 24: 36-44, about not knowing the day or the hour of return. I had only met John once, as had the clergy! On Sundays Solomon always asks if there are visitors and last week John stood up. He was invited along with any other visitors to come to the vestry and sign the visitor’s book. That morning John gave his life to Christ and less than 24 hours later he very unexpectedly died! 

After the sermon we sang a hymn, during which a collection was taken to help the family cover the expenses of the funeral and hospitality associated with it. Then the family and close friends were invited forward to place flowers on the coffin and say their last goodbye. It was at this point, when the cloth was removed from the top that I realised two things: the coffin had a sort of window, to let the family see John’s face and also the coffin wasn’t yet properly closed. The next step deeply affected and moved me. With his sister and children gathered around, as well as the hundreds of other mourners, a man proceed to hammer nails into the coffin to shut it. The emotional intensity at this point was unbelievable, the women literally wailed and screamed as the rest of the congregation were invited to sing choruses of hope about salvation and resurrection. I was affected by that whole process more than I ever would have imagined, and I could almost feel the grief of his daughters and so I cried with them.

We proceeded to the grave at the side of the house and we sang more songs as they lowered the coffin. Solomon concluded with a Bible reading, prayers and more songs. After changing out of robes, we were again invited to eat!! Hospitality is such a massive thing here. To be fair, people walk long distances to get places so I can see why they insist on feeding people well when they get there and before they leave. 

We trekked back, about 5 hours after arriving and it’s safe to say I am tired- drained physically, mentally and emotionally. I’m about to boil some water for a hot “shower” and then tonight is definitely a DVD night! I am leading the morning devotion at the Diocesan office in the morning so tonight will also require some prep for that.  I hope to get some internet access there to post this and then I’m off with Rev. Pamela again for some pastoral visiting.

 I can’t believe how hard the work is here, how tired I am at night but yet I can’t believe how much of God I see here! What a faithful God we have.

Love from Uganda

Danielle x

No comments:

Post a Comment