Friday 10 April 2015

Practice makes perfect



Wednesday 8th April 2015:

This blog is turning out to be slightly more sporadic than I had intended. I aim to type a little bit every night about the day I’ve had but I will only be able to post then when I’m in the diocesan office. The internet, electricity and most importantly- water, all are quite unreliable. They cut out at a minute's notice and can be out for hours. It amazes me though, how people just deal with it and get on with life. They have back-up generators for lights and they cook on fires. I’m so aware that when there is a power cut in Northern Ireland we let it grind us to a halt but here life goes on! My western privileges have really been a stumbling block in that way- I’ve realised how dependant I am on my phone, internet etc. 

Again on a practical level, I am learning why Ugandan women have really short hair! Since Tuesday I have been learning how to wash my hair with a jerry can of water, a basin and a cup, since there’s so functioning shower. Rev. Alice had a giggle to herself when she asked how I managed it with such long hair. ‘Practice makes perfect’, ‘think outside the box’ and ‘it’s all about the experience’ have become the three mottos that we use frequently together, in relation to lots of the practical challenges I’m facing.

On Wednesday morning I got the opportunity to meet some of the Cathedral and Diocesan staff, who have all been so friendly to me. They love to ask how I’m coping with the weather compared to Ireland. I can tell you the two are very different climates!
My itinery had to be changed slightly because Synod is on at the minute and Alice is the secretary so she has to be there! So I spent the morning, as planned, working in the women’s office with Alice and Lynn- an English missionary living here. The rest of the day was time to chill out as our afternoon plans were changed, which has been nice to have time to adapt to the climate and culture (slightly!) But I am raring to go and get my teeth into something now. 

With love from Uganda,

Danielle x

No comments:

Post a Comment